Friday, January 27, 2012

A visit from the Goon Squad


Jennifer Egan A visit from the Good Squad
A couple of months ago I was buying most of my books from amazon.com. This is before discovering how great thrifting books can be. What I like about amazon is the "you may also like" section. They suggested I read "A visit from the Goon Squad" and I looked it up and found that it won the Pulitzer prize. I figured it must be good, but I went in blindfolded only going by that amazon suggested this to me.
It's a rather unusual book spilt up into 13 chapters and 13 different stories all connected. Several characters have a recurring role in the book, but you meet them at different stages of their life. One main character is Sasha who is working as an assistant in the music industry and then later in the book you meet her again when she's married with kids. The whole book goes from the past to the future. Several characters you only hear from once, but you get a back story that somehow connects you to another character. One of my favorite parts of the book is when Egan takes you in the future NYC, 10 years from now and how in January it's warm out. I thought that was a cool twist in the book.

Winner of the Pulitzer Prize
The ending is full circle and satisfying ! I highly recommend the book to anyone who wants a fun read.

No comments:

Post a Comment